25 February, 2007

Walking on water

It takes such courage and confidence to step out and walk on that less-traveled road. Some people seem to have the truth with them, so that when they step out and take a different road it is a blessing. Others seem to always take the wrong way. But in a world where everyone tells you to watch out and not rock the boat, when is it time to dive into the water and yell, "It's alright! I can swim!"

So often I feel like I'm the guy in the boat trying to swim on land because I don't want anyone to worry. So instead of going where I belong, I rock the boat in my fiendishly savage attempts to conquer land-swimming. Maybe I'm not supposed to swim at all! But you see, there it is. If you are in the boat with a bunch of people that teach everyone to jump into the boat, to safety, you have to wonder if you're just crazy or one of the few sane.

Just when I think I understand, doubt rushes in like a cold winter wind: "Maybe you're right, but if you're wrong, you'll drown." I dunno, God: will I sink or swim? Or are you trying to teach me to walk on water?

No comments: