31 May, 2005

Another parting


Another parting arises... I am afraid, as many of my dear ones are, of the change. For me it is not the change in presence as much as the change in relationship. It is important that those who are older do not depend overmuch on the younger. I have yet to depend on them, but I always have a vested interest in their journey. Each child that I meet and work with over the years, most especially those whom God directs my way, carries a part of who I am when we part. I hope, every day, that the portion they receive is what God wishes for them to have: a dividend that increases their character and strength. An investment.
   I do not fear my students' leaving and passing on to a new school. In fact, I rejoice that they get to experience new situations and challenges. But I am afraid that I have to give them away. I want to watch them grow, to continue to invest in their lives, as long as possible. Perhaps the relationships will change like an old wine, growing better and stronger with age. Perhaps the relationship will be like soda, losing its effervescence from exposure to a change in pressure. Perhaps it will be like coloured water, evaporating and leaving a memory of colour on the counter.
   With the year that has passed, I am no longer sure if I am Pygmalion, da Vinci, or the stone. Perhaps I am all three, and more. I only know that I can do no more than sleep tonight, and awake in the morning. I will swing out of my bed, and take my first steps in the new day. I will step as solidly and carefully as I can, praying the gentle Lord's guidance and sure eyes, until the new day comes. I will do my best for His glory...and that will be enough.

No comments: